At Open Access Button, we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We undertake not to disclose any data without your consent or as permitted by the United Kingdom’s Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act).
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. In order to administer our website, provide email alert services and consult on our work, Open Access Button occasionally captures personal data. This is done in a number of ways:
- Use of the Button.
- The website monitors access to the site for the purpose of system administration of the web server and statistical monitoring of website usage. This may include ‘cookies’. A cookie is a message given to a web browser by a web server. The message is then stored by the browser in a text file called cookie.txt. Every time the browser obtains a page from the server this cookie message is sent back. A cookie can be used to identify users and personalise their visit by customising web pages for them.
- Site registration.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the data you provide by filling in forms on our site and with your permission this information will be stored to be used as follows:
- To provide you with information such as forthcoming events, seminars or publications and website updates that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, unless you have opted out of being contacted for such purposes; or
- To notify you about changes to our service.
Information Gathered by the Button
- The Open Access Button will not display your exact location if you share your browser location with us. The location shown is an approximate location where the coordinates given from your browser are rounded off.
- You are free not to enter your full name, or even an accurate name into the tool.
- Our data is available for download, however we do not share email addresses or names as part of this.
- Data can be deleted upon request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
If you register with Open Access Button, your name and email address and other information given when registering will be held on the system for the purpose of providing membership services. It will not be passed on to third parties.This information will be kept secure and not used in any manner other than for the purposes of the Button.
If you choose to subscribe to our mailing lists, we collect your email address, and, if you choose to provide it, a location. We don’t like spam, so you won’t get any. We will not forward your email to any third party for any reason.
The site also provides links to a wide variety of third-party websites, including interactive links to sites like Twitter or mapping services. We are not responsible for, and does not have any control over, the privacy practices or the content of such third parties. We encourage users to read the privacy policies of any third party service we use.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose personally identifiable information about you to third parties in limited circumstances, including: (1) with your consent; or (2) when we believe it is required by law. We will object to requests for access to information about users of our site that we believe to be improper.
If we are required by law to disclose the information that you have submitted, we will attempt to provide you with notice (unless we are prohibited) that a request for your information has been made in order to give you an opportunity to object to the disclosure.
Access to information
The Data Protection Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act by contacting us at the address given below.
Updating or Removing Your Information
You may choose to correct, update, or delete the information you have submitted to us by sending an email requesting changes to email@example.com. Furthermore, if we inadvertently collect more personal information than intended, we endeavor to delete the extraneous information. However, please understand that deleted information may continue to persist on backup media.
In general, we will use the information provided by you to further the mission of the Open Access Button.